Skip to main content

To the Lake with Ye!

As I was clicking through blogs yesterday, I came across this picture and it made me laugh. Those of you who are Sonlighters know that Christmas in September feeling when a carton of school supplies shows up on your doorstep. Wild delight. We've opened many of these in the past seven years and showered a great deal of affection on the contents. Children have huddled around for the unveiling of new curriculum and and then sank in a collective heap, each lost in a different book. Until this week. Delight did not accompany the arrival of this box. John and Lauren intercepted the package from Mr. Fedex and took off toward the lake across the street.

"Where are you going? Come back here with that box. Guys? Come back!"

"No! We're taking this thing to the lake. Frogs and crabs and fish belong in the lake, not in the house."

"Guys, I'm warning you! Come back here. There's more than just the dissection stuff in there." (Really, how much authority can a mom exude when she's hidden behind a camera and chuckling all the while?)

Common sense eventually prevailed.


The microscope was a huge hit. We've looked at everything from rotting leaves to dental floss. Claire and Faith are reading Greg's Microscope and are excited to use their new piece of equipment to see Greg's discoveries for themselves. We are all amazed by the beauty and order of even the tiniest details in creation.



The older children may be biology snobs but Claire and Charlie were very curious about the dreaded creatures.

Frog, fish, crawfish and worm are now tucked on a high shelf in the hall closet. John and Lauren are hoping they fall behind the vacuum bags and cleaning supplies and are not discovered until they are safely enrolled in college studying Anglo-Saxon mythology or Baroque painting or anything else that doesn't involve actual blood and guts.

Comments

LOL! I used to love the dissection part of biolgy, but I can see how it grosses people out. How cool that you can get that stuff delivered to your front door...

Xandra
Maren said…
I still have the scar where my dissection partner in Biology accidently tried to dissect my pinkie finger instead of the frog! My kids are like yours, some love the idea of seeing the innards, while others pale at the thought!
Luke Holzmann said…
Stuck behind a camera... what's a mom to do?

Hilarious!

~Luke
Heather C said…
ROFL... congrats on receiving your supplies and ensuring they made it into the house! It's so cool that the kids are so into learning... :)
Mary@notbefore7 said…
LOL on the kids running to the pond.

Maybe I knew you used Sonlight...have you always used it? did you use it from the start? I have a friend doing the Kindergarten this year nad it seems really intense for Kindergarten, but I am only "hearing" it and not seeing it. any thoughts?
Ganeida said…
I don't do disection. That's what video is for! Ditz doesn't do disection either. Over use of the term *Eeeew!* Music & art people. We like our science clean & someone else's problem.

I love i when a Sonlight box arrives!

Popular posts from this blog

The Child's Story Bible

I have recommended the following book so frequently that I think a post is in order so that I may recommend it to the world. In the early nineteen hundreds, when my grandparents were growing from children to adults, when they were meeting and marrying and making ends meet during the Depression, Catherine F. Vos was at work. She had been out shopping, looking for the perfect children’s story bible. The Christian bookstores of the day must have had the same unsatisfactory fare for young children that they carry today. Her standards were high as she was the wife of a professor of theology and she could not find what she was looking for. So she started to write. The results of her writing, The Child’s Story Bible was first published in stages between the years of 1934-1936. It’s been republished in every decade since that time. My grandparents had my parents and they met and married and had me and somewhere along the way I acquired a Bible. I read from the book of Proverbs from time to t

A Sure Foundation

The kids and I have been nibbling our way through the book of Isaiah for months. It's our first venture as a family into the prophets. We wrestle with the message. It's a book for our times. Isaiah wrote to his people, the people of Judah, at the dawn of a long season of international turmoil. Assyria ran rough shod over the Middle East, followed in quick succession by Babylon, Persia and Greece. According to Isaiah, each empire was brought down because of they were quick to gloat over their achievements but failed to give God the time of day. The sin of haughty eyes he calls it. I brown the meat and simmer the stew and slice a crusty loaf of Italian bread but do not bow my head before I eat. It's the little red hen complex. I ground the wheat and kneaded the dough and sliced the carrots. I don't take into account that I didn't make the carrots or the wheat grow. I forget to be thankful that there are groceries in the pantry and healthy children around the table.

Notes From the Road

Stuart* just returned home from a month long business trip.  These are clips of Facebook entries and emails home, pieced together to recreate his big adventure.      Calling home while on safari in South Africa. Mongolia It is 3AM here in Mongolia and we just checked in at the hotel in Erdenet. So, if my calculations are correct, it took me 45 hours of travel to get here from the time I left the house. The last six hours were a fairly torturous car ride up into the mountains. I wouldn't hesitate to say that the very best stretch of road that we were on was equivalent to the very worst road that you can think of in PA. There ain't no sleeping in the car while riding here! Most of the ride was fairly teeth rattling. I was correct that, as soon as we left the capital city, I lost cell phone coverage and we never passed through another town. We did stop at a little outpost to pick up drinks and a snack. I will call it an outpost, rather than a rest area for several reaso