Skip to main content

Blog, Blogger, Blogging

The Question
How has blogging made an impact on you?

The Answer

We had just moved when I began Small Scribbles. It started as an effort to fight the invisibility that came with being a stranger in a strange land but over a year later, it serves different purposes.

Blogging has created a sense of connection. Dinner conversation includes mention of my air friends. " Mary just bought a new house. I like her floors...We need to pray for Isaac and his family he’s going back to Iraq in a couple of weeks... Even though Ike didn’t do anything here, you should see Xandra’s yard.” I talk about people that I have never met like they are old friends. And in a way, they are.

The most surprising blogging development has been a closer relationship with family. We are ten hours from our nearest relatives and a half a globe away from the farthest. The blog has given me a way to throw open the front door and welcome family and friends into our days. No cleaning required. One by one my sisters have caught onto the ease of this type of entertainment and now they are joining the blog world in droves. I love when my children and I crowd around the computer to share the details of their lives and I love knowing that they do the same.

It turns out I have a cast full of characters under my roof who love to see their name in lights.

I like watching the little swagger they develop when it’s their turn to star on the screen. I like the way they gather the others around to share their moment, "Mama wrote about me." Even Stuart is not immune.

My kids' baby pictures are thrown into boxes. They’ll never make it into a photo album. I don’t have the time, inclination or patience. Painting word pictures gives me a way to record family history without the clutter. So long, scrapbook guilt.

I love these days when I am but an arms length away from my children. I gather them up and hold them close while I can and I stop time and bottle memories with this blog. I want the children to remember. I write to give future sons and daughters-in-law a chronicle that will help them unlock the mysteries of their spouse. When my children are grown, I want them to be able to browse through this memoir and know me as I know myself and to see themselves through my eyes.

History lives and breathes for me. I can see and hear the people from the ages when I read their stories. I think that one day, this gigantic collection of public diaries will be like Pompeii to a future people. They’ll brush away the memes and give aways and stat counters and find that in spite of our outdated Crocs, and Blackberries and an unexplainable affinity for Diet Coke that we were just like them.

Because I am a blogger, I spend my days turning over the rocks of ordinary in search of the extraordinary. It’s magical when a couple of unrelated events suddenly tie themselves together into a post. Right now I’m trying to figure out how a count down calendar, a wide open freezer door, and a pair of sandals might gel into a story.

Blogs have made this big world so much smaller. I take in the writings of those who are unfortunate, grieving, angry, preening, petty and I am grateful for my life. Conversely, blogging highlights the best of mankind. I enjoy the talents of those who are smarter, funnier, more creative, more spiritual, more compassionate and I stretch to grow beyond myself. It would wonderful if this blog does the same for a reader or two.

Comments

Melissa said…
It most certainly does, my friend. As usual...wonderful, deep & soul-stirring thoughts.
I feel exactly the same- you said it beautifully. Thank you.
Mary@notbefore7 said…
I just KNEW you would answer and hit the nail on the head in so many ways. Beautifully spoken and yes, my friend, your blog does help me to grow beyond myself!
Carol said…
So true. It's amazing the friendships you can make this way!
Unknown said…
Love your post--as usual.

When I was talking about starting a blog a friend said I should do it for me so I could remember this time in our family's life. That's what finally pushed me to do it. All the things you wrote are part of it,too, now that I'm actually writing.

Kim
40winkzzz said…
I struggle often with the amount of time I spend blogging- both writing my own and reading those of other people. I sometimes catch myself in the middle of thinking thru a "head blog", and I think, "Wow, wouldn't it be wonderful if I channeled this time & effort into my family or friends or neighbors. What a waste of time, writing things in my head to put on my blog." But the fact is, I have written things in my head all my life. Blogging simply gives me an outlet for them. (And considering that maybe 10% of my 'head-blogs' actually make it into writing and fewer than that ever get posted, I suppose I'm not overdoing it *too* much.)

I used to keep a family memory journal, but as my family grew bigger and busier, I neglected the journals and eventually didn't even bother having them. Blogging has helped to fill that void a bit.

And bloggy friendships... my eyes were opened to the value of such relationships in a whole new way after my bloggy friend Marsha lost her little son last month. That was the first time my heart ever broke for someone I'd never met, and I realized that bloggy friendships, though different from those in "real life", are indeed real friendships.

As for you, I am glad you started blogging and that I discovered your blog. I enjoy your writing.

Well, now I have written a novel on your blog and nothing on my own today.
God's girl said…
Girl, I am so glad you are blogging. It keeps me connected to your world too and I love that!
Much love,
Angela
tammi said…
You said it perfectly!! I have actually become very close friends with two of my bloggy friends ~ to the point that we have video chats several times a month. She even sent me a wonderful birthday present in the mail. It feels like we were seperated at birth. (And since she lives in a much warmer climate than I do, I wish it was true!!)

I, too, find myself looking at things differently and trying to find the extraordinary amongst the ordinary. Last winter was the first time that I can remember that I didn't absolutely HATE winter. I attribute my change in attitude to blogging. It was the first winter where I specifically sought beauty in this frozen wasteland I call home. And in searching for ways to show off my survival skills, living on the wind-swept, ice-encrusted Canadian prairies, I discovered winter could be fun and has a beauty all its own.

If I didn't have a blog, I would never have made that discovery ~ nor would I be a prayer partner with my church planting "sweet southern sistah" down in South Carolina.

I cannot help but feel blessed to be a blogger!
Beautifully written...and true. I know that the things I post in my blog are not always interesting to non-family members, but it is a tangible connection to my family who lives so far away.

You should publish your blog posts in a book. I did after I had blogged for a year, and plan to publish subsequent volumes. Go to www.blurb.com. It is a great way to preserve your digital ramblings in a concrete way. And it's pretty cool to have a "book" that you wrote to pass along to your children and grandchildren.

Your air friend,
Xandra
Ganeida said…
Given the dynamics of our rather odd lifestyle & that we are just plain weird, blogging has given me friendships I would otherwise not have had ~ & connected me to some *very* interesting people! I have been enjoying reading here. :)
Faith said…
You are such a beautiful writer, my friend!
Anonymous said…
Perfectly said!

Popular posts from this blog

The Child's Story Bible

I have recommended the following book so frequently that I think a post is in order so that I may recommend it to the world. In the early nineteen hundreds, when my grandparents were growing from children to adults, when they were meeting and marrying and making ends meet during the Depression, Catherine F. Vos was at work. She had been out shopping, looking for the perfect children’s story bible. The Christian bookstores of the day must have had the same unsatisfactory fare for young children that they carry today. Her standards were high as she was the wife of a professor of theology and she could not find what she was looking for. So she started to write. The results of her writing, The Child’s Story Bible was first published in stages between the years of 1934-1936. It’s been republished in every decade since that time. My grandparents had my parents and they met and married and had me and somewhere along the way I acquired a Bible. I read from the book of Proverbs from time to t

A Sure Foundation

The kids and I have been nibbling our way through the book of Isaiah for months. It's our first venture as a family into the prophets. We wrestle with the message. It's a book for our times. Isaiah wrote to his people, the people of Judah, at the dawn of a long season of international turmoil. Assyria ran rough shod over the Middle East, followed in quick succession by Babylon, Persia and Greece. According to Isaiah, each empire was brought down because of they were quick to gloat over their achievements but failed to give God the time of day. The sin of haughty eyes he calls it. I brown the meat and simmer the stew and slice a crusty loaf of Italian bread but do not bow my head before I eat. It's the little red hen complex. I ground the wheat and kneaded the dough and sliced the carrots. I don't take into account that I didn't make the carrots or the wheat grow. I forget to be thankful that there are groceries in the pantry and healthy children around the table.

Notes From the Road

Stuart* just returned home from a month long business trip.  These are clips of Facebook entries and emails home, pieced together to recreate his big adventure.      Calling home while on safari in South Africa. Mongolia It is 3AM here in Mongolia and we just checked in at the hotel in Erdenet. So, if my calculations are correct, it took me 45 hours of travel to get here from the time I left the house. The last six hours were a fairly torturous car ride up into the mountains. I wouldn't hesitate to say that the very best stretch of road that we were on was equivalent to the very worst road that you can think of in PA. There ain't no sleeping in the car while riding here! Most of the ride was fairly teeth rattling. I was correct that, as soon as we left the capital city, I lost cell phone coverage and we never passed through another town. We did stop at a little outpost to pick up drinks and a snack. I will call it an outpost, rather than a rest area for several reaso