Skip to main content

Director's Notes

A rooftop scene. Use the wide angle to catch the stars. Zoom in on Jesus, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again."

Film Nicodemus' troubled face. "How can this be?

Capture the patience on Jesus' face. Record the lengthy explanation that He gives and at the same time make the near silence of Nicodemus seem deafening. Zoom in again to catch the puzzled expression that Nicodemus wears.

Insert a brief scene. Wide angle this time. Show a conversation between John and his disciples but leave the audience feeling unsettled about the last scene. Will there be resolution? Will Nicodemus see the light?

Follow Jesus and his disciples down a dusty road, heat radiating and distorting their image. Film their backs and mute the conversation.

Zoom in again on Jesus. Hot. Tired. Alone at Jacob's well. Pan out a bit to catch the approach of a woman. Pan out farther to show that she is a solitary figure. Zoom in to expose the wariness in her eyes, the unease. Keep a tight angle on the camera. Train the lens on her face as Jesus asks for a drink of water. Catch her eyes as they widen in surprise. Pan out a little. Switch camera angles. Back and forth. Back and forth to show that this conversation is equally divided.

"I know Messiah is coming. When he comes, he will explain everything to us."

"I who speak to you Am."

Focus on the woman as understanding begins to dawn...as hope peels away the hardness and light comes into the dull, lifeless eyes.

Zoom out. Film the disciples returning from the town with a wide angled lens. Catch all of their expressions simultaneously. Shock on every face. Show the woman hurrying away. Switch camera angles. Zoom in closer. Closer. Fill the entire screen with one object. The woman's water jug lying forgotten on the ground.

Pan out for a moment of comic relief. Focus on the group of disciples scattered around Jesus. Record the unintelligable murmurs and the passing out of food. Film Jesus refusing his portion. Keep the murmuring background and zoom in on a few of the men. Allow the conversation to become sharper. "Hey did somebody slip Jesus a few loaves and fish while we were gone? How come He's not hungry. I'm famished!"

Record Jesus' voice for the soundtrack. "I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest." Record His voice but point the camera out over on the fields. Capture the Samaritans in distance. Keep the camera trained on them until their features can be distinguished. Focus on their interest...their excitement. Capture the joy on their faces. See their joy mirrored in the face of Jesus.

This joy. This light. The contrast is sharp when viewed against the frame of the dark night and the difficult conversation with Nicodemus. Both scenes forshadowing reactions to come.

Comments

Darla said…
Princess Kate,
I love walking through the Gospels and viewing it as a bystander...making it more personal. I get that same picture of the patience on Jesus face, and the womans excitement, as HE unfolded all that HE knew about her, without condemnation. It always stirs my heart, and gives me more motivation to love like that.
ocean mommy said…
Kate,

It always amazes me that Jesus is just as intimate and real with us as He was with the people He lived with and taught. I can't wait to see those patience eyes!

Love you and thank God for you!
stephanie
Janelle said…
Beautifully written. Thank you for making it real.
Aunt Angie said…
I was able to "see" the whole thing, with mind and spirit. You blessed me. You always do! Everytime I pop over here! Thanks for listening to His voice for the words to write. Your "small scribbles" bring Him much glory and happiness.
Bless you!
Mary@notbefore7 said…
This was beautiful. You can really picture the whole scene so beautifully. Wow - it was amazing the way it played out in my mind exactly how it was written here.

"Capture the patience on Jesus' face" AMEN!

Thank you for this today.
God's girl said…
You thinking of directing this film? Why is it that there are not directors out there like that? In this media driven culture I just love this. Maybe one day! Thanks Kate!
Love you!
Angela

Popular posts from this blog

The Child's Story Bible

I have recommended the following book so frequently that I think a post is in order so that I may recommend it to the world. In the early nineteen hundreds, when my grandparents were growing from children to adults, when they were meeting and marrying and making ends meet during the Depression, Catherine F. Vos was at work. She had been out shopping, looking for the perfect children’s story bible. The Christian bookstores of the day must have had the same unsatisfactory fare for young children that they carry today. Her standards were high as she was the wife of a professor of theology and she could not find what she was looking for. So she started to write. The results of her writing, The Child’s Story Bible was first published in stages between the years of 1934-1936. It’s been republished in every decade since that time. My grandparents had my parents and they met and married and had me and somewhere along the way I acquired a Bible. I read from the book of Proverbs from time to t

Entomology Artwork

Predacious Diving Larva and Beetle by John Lots and Lots of Ladybugs by Claire Mrs. Mosquito by Faith Atlas Fritillary by Lauren

A Sure Foundation

The kids and I have been nibbling our way through the book of Isaiah for months. It's our first venture as a family into the prophets. We wrestle with the message. It's a book for our times. Isaiah wrote to his people, the people of Judah, at the dawn of a long season of international turmoil. Assyria ran rough shod over the Middle East, followed in quick succession by Babylon, Persia and Greece. According to Isaiah, each empire was brought down because of they were quick to gloat over their achievements but failed to give God the time of day. The sin of haughty eyes he calls it. I brown the meat and simmer the stew and slice a crusty loaf of Italian bread but do not bow my head before I eat. It's the little red hen complex. I ground the wheat and kneaded the dough and sliced the carrots. I don't take into account that I didn't make the carrots or the wheat grow. I forget to be thankful that there are groceries in the pantry and healthy children around the table.