Skip to main content

This Week


This week, I let a kindergarten kid play with my iPhone to coax him into the tutoring classroom.  I set up a plan for dealing with this ongoing issue and consulted with his mama.  She’s a tough one to get to know, his mama, but I try.

This week, I promised two little boys I would pick them up on Friday and take them to my house.

This week, on a crazy afternoon, a granny asked me for alcohol and I thought.  I wish!  I could use a swig.  But that's not what she meant.  She was looking for rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide to take care of an injured kid.  A few months ago, we were awkward because we didn't know each other but now the awkwardness is gone and I can’t help but hug her every time I see her. I love that granny. 

This week, I dropped off a little girl and shook hands with her father.  His hand was dry, he had a tattoo on his neck and he's just fresh from jail.  He asked how his daughter was doing in class and they both basked in the rain of praise.

This week, a first grade child sulked and balked and rolled her eyes.  I scolded and cajoled and got nowhere.  I dropped her off at home and shared the day’s report with her granny. (Another granny.)  Granny took my hands and leaned in.  “Her cousin died in a fire this morning.” (Note to self: There’s ALWAYS a reason when a kid drives you crazy!)

This week, I was twenty minutes late to pick up the two little boys.  They were waiting expectantly in the yard with their eleven-year-old sister who was hoping to come too.  The car was packed with my kids and company kids and there was no way to shoehorn one more child in.  Disappointed, she couldn't look me in the eye.  I could see her in my rear view mirror as I drove away, still standing in the yard.

This week, I made plans to pick up an eleven-year-old girl on Saturday. 

This week, I held a preschooler in my lap in time-out, three times in sixty minutes. We were armed with dolls and a timer to get us through.  We practiced, I’m sorry for punching and then, I’m sorry for throwing and  finally, I'm sorry for stealing and all three times, I forgive you. 

This week, my husband drove the preschooler home an hour early for throwing bread for a second time the full length of our dining room table. 

This week, I dropped off a two-year-old three houses down from yellow Police Line Do Not Cross tape strung across his streetThree hours before, there was no tape.

This week, there was a sixteen-year-old  with a gunshot wound trundled into the back of an ambulance.  The reason for the tape.
  
I went to a city-wide safety meeting a few weeks ago to discuss this wave of gang violence that is sweeping across Chattanooga and mingled with people in business suits.  They pulled business cards from their pockets. I wore my yoga pants without pockets so I had an excuse for not trading my Just a Mom card for their Head of Parks and Rec, Professor, Researcher, and Upper Management Police Dude cards. Lots of ideas were brought to the table from vocational training for teens to more staffing for community services. Good ideas.  But I am learning that the Mom card counts.   There is much work to do here.  I thought it would be hard but it is not.  It’s overwhelming maybe but not hard. It turns out that parenting skills and a bit of love go a long way.  All over the city, there are people who see these issues as their responsibility.  And wouldn't it be an awesome, if Chattanooga was not known as a city with  gang and violence and crime problems but as a city with a redemption story?  It could easily happen if hundreds of whole and healthy people across the county breathed hope and righteousness and discipline into a few fragile lives by doing things that are no harder than what I did in five hours this week.

Comments

Jennifer Jo said…
This is so true. And beautiful.

The Mom Card packs a punch.
It's so good to hear your voice again, so to speak. I hope that this is the beginning of more to come!

Xandra
Amy said…
WOW!!!

That is all.

Popular posts from this blog

The Child's Story Bible

I have recommended the following book so frequently that I think a post is in order so that I may recommend it to the world. In the early nineteen hundreds, when my grandparents were growing from children to adults, when they were meeting and marrying and making ends meet during the Depression, Catherine F. Vos was at work. She had been out shopping, looking for the perfect children’s story bible. The Christian bookstores of the day must have had the same unsatisfactory fare for young children that they carry today. Her standards were high as she was the wife of a professor of theology and she could not find what she was looking for. So she started to write. The results of her writing, The Child’s Story Bible was first published in stages between the years of 1934-1936. It’s been republished in every decade since that time. My grandparents had my parents and they met and married and had me and somewhere along the way I acquired a Bible. I read from the book of Proverbs from time to t

A Sure Foundation

The kids and I have been nibbling our way through the book of Isaiah for months. It's our first venture as a family into the prophets. We wrestle with the message. It's a book for our times. Isaiah wrote to his people, the people of Judah, at the dawn of a long season of international turmoil. Assyria ran rough shod over the Middle East, followed in quick succession by Babylon, Persia and Greece. According to Isaiah, each empire was brought down because of they were quick to gloat over their achievements but failed to give God the time of day. The sin of haughty eyes he calls it. I brown the meat and simmer the stew and slice a crusty loaf of Italian bread but do not bow my head before I eat. It's the little red hen complex. I ground the wheat and kneaded the dough and sliced the carrots. I don't take into account that I didn't make the carrots or the wheat grow. I forget to be thankful that there are groceries in the pantry and healthy children around the table.

Notes From the Road

Stuart* just returned home from a month long business trip.  These are clips of Facebook entries and emails home, pieced together to recreate his big adventure.      Calling home while on safari in South Africa. Mongolia It is 3AM here in Mongolia and we just checked in at the hotel in Erdenet. So, if my calculations are correct, it took me 45 hours of travel to get here from the time I left the house. The last six hours were a fairly torturous car ride up into the mountains. I wouldn't hesitate to say that the very best stretch of road that we were on was equivalent to the very worst road that you can think of in PA. There ain't no sleeping in the car while riding here! Most of the ride was fairly teeth rattling. I was correct that, as soon as we left the capital city, I lost cell phone coverage and we never passed through another town. We did stop at a little outpost to pick up drinks and a snack. I will call it an outpost, rather than a rest area for several reaso